Married on the third day of December in our backyard, Canberra, Australia.

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Ski Trip

The ski trip was fantastic. Andrew drove an Aussie visitor, Eric and I up to Squaw Valley on Monday morning. My room wasn't ready so I left my luggage and headed out onto the slopes.


Last year I had some basic ski lessons, so this year I decided to go without. Once I got up their I changed my mind, but it was too late unless I wanted to go back down the mountain and buy a ticket. Instead, I spent a few minutes skiing past the lessons that were underway to pick up some refreshers. I'm glad I didn't actually do the lessons this year, but rather spent the time going up and down the beginners slopes, as it all came back to me. The rest of the group went off to ski some blue slopes.


I met up with the group again at lunch time. For lunch I paid $10 for a tuna salad roll and a soft drink. There isn't that much competition amongst the cafes up on the mountain so the prices are high. Andrew and I then set out to ski 3 miles back down to the village, catch a cable car up to another point and ski down to the resort. I lost my nerve on some of the steeper slopes and slid down them on my butt, which was pretty funny.


By the time we got back to the resort my legs were pretty tired.


Andrew also visited Squaw Valley in January, his photos from his earlier trip are at http://photos.andrew.net.au/squaw

2 comments:

Jo said...

Nice pics! I'm glad you enjoyed the trip and got back in one piece, except for the frozen ass-ets.

DadB said...

Us poor drought-stricken souls are looking at 40deg C (around 100 deg F) next weekend.
I guess we can look at your pics and feel a couple of deg. cooler...